The Historical Society acknowledges and respects the Darug and Gundungurra People, the Traditional Custodians of the area.
The current building officially opened in 1903 was constructed from the materials of the 1867 Lawson Railway Station. Later additions to the side and front entrance of the building were made from bricks from Mount Victoria's old railway station. (click photo to enlarge)
It was intended to house the Literary and Debating Society set up in 1896 (using the building of the original Blue Mountain Inn as its meeting place) and the library that was growing rapidly. In 1911 it became the Literary Institute and in the 1960s the Lawson Community Centre. Until the 1960s it was a major social centre for the area.
It is now under threat of demolition supported by the Blue Mountains City Council and a majority of Concillors including Councillor Chris Van Der Kley