1870: From the outset, the area that eventually became The Baths (on Terrace Falls Road) supplied water during construction of the line.
Hazelbrook Station, an unattended 200ft (61m) timber platform, was opened on the south side of line and a level crossing (western, down or Bourke side) provided access to the south side. A gatehouse was built later and a waiting shed added in 1887.
A dead-end goods siding was constructed downside at the Sydney end on March 18. Buildings were erected on the same site with approach from the new overbridge, while the goods siding was moved to the Bourke end but still on the down side. (In railway terminology all lines are UP to Sydney).
The 1895 Railway timetable (15 March) indicated that the train would only pick up and let down at Hazelbrook if required. However, a station master had been appointed to replace the attendant by his time1897 Between Hazelbrook and Lawson there was a 44 chain (O.88km) curve improvement near Sydney Rock (below Queen's Road) eliminating a curve of 8ch (160m) radius with two flatter curves at 94.93km.
The line was duplicated and an island platform with brick buildings was opened on the 22 August 1902. The goods siding was moved to the western end, still downside. The level crossing was replaced by a steel overbridge on its Sydney side, which also gave access to the new island platform. The Bathurst Road was at rail level in the immediate vicinity but it was raised by two ramps to bridge level.
A new precast concrete deck was fitted in 1956 for the electrification clearance at 58miles 9ch (93.58km). The original platform on the down side with the level crossing (at the Bourke end) was replaced with an overhead bridge. Near Sydney Rock the Bathurst Road crossed over a deep cutting by a stone arch which was replaced by a concrete arch for the double track at 58miles 79ch (95km).
A concrete arch overbridge was erected connecting Railway Parade to Bathurst Road at57miles 53ch (92.78km).
The Hazelbrook Progress Association tackled the Railway Commissioners on the lack of accommodation in the goods shed. They asked for a new shed and for the removal of the present shed to the eastern end of the platform. Another request was that the name Hazelbrook appear on holiday slips and time-tables. The Commissioner gave a sympathetic hearing.
One of the most important trains during the tourist boom of the 1920's-1930's was the Caves Express. The evening Express left Sydney at 9.50pm with the first stop at Hazelbrook Ihr 26mins later. The morning Express departed Central at 10.00 am arriving at Hazelbrook at 11.59 am. On the return journey the Caves Express departed Mt Victoria at 7.00 pm and arrived at Hazelbrook at 7.46 pm and Sydney 9.15 pm.
The Caves Express cut 52 minutes off the regular mountain trip. Engine 3506 commenced service November 1924. It was very bright blue with a large silver star on the front firebox. It had 6 carriages with buffet car. The car's lower section was blue and the upper section cream. The service was interrupted by World War ll, terminating on 4 October 1942.
Light refreshments were provided on the train: Tea, coffee, soft drinks 9 pence with either sandwiches, pies, scones, biscuits, etc. Vanilla ice cream 6pece.Basket of assorted fruits 6pence Cigarettes, tobacco, sweets available.
The platform was extended to 600ft (183m). The level-crossing was replaced by a steel overbridge which also gave access to the island platform. The Gatehouse was removed at this time.
Overbridge demolished for electrification wiring. A new precast concrete deck was fitted for electrification clearance at the Station at mileage58miles 9ch (93.6km)
The stone arch bridge carrying Old Bathurst Road was replaced by a skew overbridge at 95.87km at the Sydney end, near Lawson. The DMR constructed this new bridge near Sydney Rock because of the blind approaches (95.87km)
The siding was closed on the 5 June. Schleicher remembers
'Besides her postal duties Miss Adams was in charge of the railway station. She only opened the office when a train was due. This continued until about 1920, when a permanent station-master was put in charge.
Hazelbrook station was opened in 1884. This was not the present station, but a single wooden platfom; probably about where the goods shed is at present. At that time the line was only a single track. The present station was built when the line was duplicated 60 years ago and was opened for traffic when the duplicated section as far as Lawson was put into use, on 20th April 1902. It is very much the same as when I first knew it.'.
The Granville Disaster
The most tragic rail disaster in Australia occurred at Granville in January 1977